Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Welcoming Committee

Captain's blog, supplemental:

So I've just thought of a brilliant new feature for my blog. I've decided that whenever I gain a new follower (I sound like the leader of some strange cult when I say that), I will run a piece on that person as a welcome. Sounds good, eh? For all of you loyal readers, I may retroactivate this.

This proves difficult because there are some readers that stay hidden in the shadows and mask their identity, only emerging to post random comments on my boards. I encourage you to hide no longer! Join the team!

That being said, let me tell you about Garrett MacKay. The date of our first meeting has been lost to the closet monsters of time, but it must have been in seventh grade, because I outlined his picture in my yearbook as a person that I liked. However, in eighth grade we were both chosen by Ms. Thornock to be on the Centennial mock trial teams. We were assigned as the closing prosecuting attorney for our respective teams. So, Garrett came over to my house one Saturday to work on our closing statements together.

After we had done our mock trial work, Garrett and I spotted the newest issue of Sports Illustrated sitting on the kitchen counter. Our perusal and discussion of the magazine led to a discovery of many common interests, notably BYU football. And that, as they say, was that.

We've spent two and a half years apart, but now it seems like neither of us ever left. I'm glad to have my best friend back, and welcome him to the Captain's (B)Log.

p.s. If anyone has a favorite Garrett story, post it in the comment boxes.




Garrett and me from the eighth grade yearbook.



Garrett and me last week.


5 comments:

  1. J'ai lu ton blog pour la première fois aujourd'hui et j'ai beaucoup aimé ce que j'ai lu. J'apprécie ton style et ton humour. Comme tu invites tes lecteurs à ne pas rester cachés, je me permets de commenter... en français.

    ReplyDelete
  2. et moi je peux te comprendre, alor fais attention a ce que tu dis! ;) je blague..... ca fait toujours du bien de lire le francais!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Je ferai attention ;)Je suis contente de découvrir que Chase a une autre lectrice qui comprend le français.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You circled yourself as a person you liked?

    I remember Garrett from being at school with Garrett. I don't remember a ton of particulars, other than he was like a Seamus Finnegan to my Hermione Granger. You go to school together, and we happen to be in most of the same classes, therefore that amounts to several similar experiences. So in a way, Garrett and I had the same life. Or perhaps what makes us the same person. I can't remember where I was going with this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mock trials... good memories. It's cool that Garrett is home. I love newly retunred RMS!

    ReplyDelete