Monday, February 2, 2009

I Wish Bill Murray Had Completed the Job...


Captain's blog, supplemental:

So, once again Punxsutawney Phil has delivered us a gut shot.  However, while reading the story on the Drudge Report, I noticed many holes.  According to the article, Groundhog Day comes from a German superstition.  This superstition says that if a hibernating animal sees his shadow on the Christian holiday of Candlemas, then there will be six more weeks of winter.  So why a groundhog?  If we need a hibernating animal, why not a bear?  Or a squirrel?  Or BYU's defense (in any sport)?  Do groundhogs have some kind of built-in barometer?  Personally, I'd trust Mark Eubank more than Phil.

Here's another curious fact: apparently, Punxsutawney Phil has been doing this whole shot-in-the-dark thing since 1887!  That's a century before I was even born!  According to Wikipedia, the average groundhog lives to be anywhere from two to six years in the wild, and 22 years at the most in captivity.  This "Phil" is a fake!  Even if the original groundhog was able to predict the weather, we have no reason to believe that this fraud could even predict the ending of Twilight

But, because I am worried about the possibility of six more weeks of my least favorite season (in Québec it lasts six months), I decided to perform my own test.  After all, I have about as many credentials as Punxsutawney Phil as a metereologist.  Plus, I'm much better looking.  So I went outside early this afternoon to have a look for myself.  And despite the sun shining directly overhead, I didn't see any shadow!  So there you go, it's my word against the imposter Phil.  Who do you really trust?    


4 comments:

  1. YAY. a chase blog.

    i'm not sure who i trust. on one hand, i have a chubby, rodent-like mammal. on the other hand, there's a guy who thinks he needs to out-do the chubby, rodent-like mammal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This isn't about out-doing the rodent. This is about taking off my coat, being unaware that I'm breathing, and being able to play soccer and football. It's important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So,you've been hibernating all winter? Slacker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I could ever figure out how to store enough fat to last me all winter, I might just try it.

    ReplyDelete